Massachusetts Legislation Passed Providing Unemployment Relief
< 1 minute
On Wednesday, March 18th, Governor Baker signed emergency legislation to waive the standard one-week waiting period to collect unemployment for anyone filing a claim because they lost work from the outbreak itself or from the governor’s state of emergency. This change is expected to significantly speed up the process of getting unemployment payments to workers that have been impacted.
In addition to waiving the one-week waiting period, the state is urging impacted individuals to file online and has implemented the following actions to assist workers and employers related to COVID-19:
- All requirements regarding attending seminars at the MassHire career centers have been suspended.
- Deadlines missed by employers and claimants due to effects of COVID-19 may be excused under DUA’s good cause provision.
- Employers whose businesses are severely impacted by COVID-19 can request extensions for filing and paying unemployment contributions.
- “Worksearch” requirements will be interpreted to appropriately permit claimants affected by COVID-19 to collect benefits.
- All appeal hearings will be held by telephone only.
For more information, please refer to the COVID-19 guidelines issued by the state here.
Reach out to your OneDigital representative for further information and support, and visit the OneDigital Coronavirus Advisory Hub for resources, updates and informative advisory sessions.
Related News & Updates
18 min read
On March 27, 2020, the President signed into law the largest stimulus bill in history. This $2 trillion bill provides incentives and support to help retain the American workforce, assist…
Among the many issues employers are facing in the wake of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is the possibility of furloughs, temporary office and location closings, and short-term layoffs. Reference this guidance…
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is leaving employers and their employees with questions regarding the impact on their company-sponsored retirement plans. Reference these commonly asked questions to discover how the pandemic…
8 min read
Families First Coronavirus Response Act (H.R.6201) (Updated as of 3/24) The Department of Labor’s (DOL) Wage and Hour Division (WHD), the department responsible for administering the new law’s paid leave,…