People can’t seem to settle on where Pay it Forward came into play. Benjamin Franklin, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Lily Hardy Hammond, and Woody Hayes among others are credited with kicking off the phrase. It wasn’t until the blockbuster hit in 2000 starring Haley Joel Osment that launched a large movement from three little words. Whether it’s a big or small gesture, paying it forward is simply a random act of kindness.
Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Week kicked off on Monday, February 9th. This week, we celebrate the unofficial holiday, officially. Spreading joy with simple gestures is such an easy way to bring happiness to a friend or even a stranger. So what are ways in which you can participate?
- maryRecognize your coworkers with a note of appreciation
- Send a card or letter to a distant friend or family member
- Leave a generous tip for your waiter/waitress
- Bring baked or store bought goods to your local police or fire department
- Buy the food or drink order for the person behind you in line
- Be polite and patient with friends, family, coworkers, strangers, and animals
If you want to share your good deed and bring more awareness to such a simple cause, use the hashtag RAKWeek2015 to spread the word on social media!